Thursday, January 20, 2011

Knead - Not, Coconut Chocolate Bread

I borrowed Jim Lahey's book "My Bread" from the library, a few weeks ago. As far as I know, he created the no-knead bread method. After perusing the book, there were a few bread recipes that stood out - but none more then the coconut chocolate bread (Click here for the recipe) or see below.


I cut into the bread before I took some pics - I just couldn't wait. I should tell you that within 10 minutes of the first cut, Teegan and I polished off over half this bread! SO - GOOD!

Recipe:
2 C + 2 T Unbleached Bread Flour
1/4 tsp Yeast (I used 1/2 tsp)
1 C Unsweetened shredded coconut
1 C Semi-sweet chunk'ed chocolate (I just had chips but I would have used a dark chocolate).
1 tsp Salt
1 1/4 C water

Throw everything together and stir till there is no dry flour left in the bowl. Once everything seems good cover it and let it rest overnight.

The next morning, scrape the dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface. Fold the dough over on itself a few times and then shape the dough into a ball. Put the dough onto a piece of parchment and put it into a bowl to keep the dough in a round shape. Cover and let it rest for 2 hours - or till doubled in size. Oh, sprinkle the top with a bit more coconut. I got a little carried away and some of mine burnt and I had to scrape it off.

Preheat the oven to 450. During this time also preheat your dutch oven. Once the oven is ready, place the dough (with paper) into the dutch oven (Be careful it's hot) and bake with the lid on for 30 to 40 minutes. Then take the lid off and bake for another 20 minutes or so.

I was initially going to make this bread on my stone but at the last minute decided against it. Though I still want to try it - so when I do, I'll let you know how it turns out.


1 comment:

  1. I must admit that after seeing this picture I bought a dark chocolate coconut bar while grocery shopping. Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete