Sunday, January 16, 2011

I may have bitten off more then I can chew!


Top Left: Sourdough starter  - which is basically a bunch of bacteria which kind of acts like yeast and smells sour. The starter takes about a week to make, but if you ever decide to make one follow the instructions - instead of discarding some of the starter to create your finished product (which is normal), I double my recipe and made twice as much. I now realize that I will never in my wildest dreams use it all. This picture of my fridge is my attempts to do that, but I still have 3/4's of the starter left.

Top Right: Sourdough bread rising (with extra yeast added). This bread contains 1/4 c of the starter. It will be baked today. It will most likely make 2 good size loafs.

Middle Left: This is my massive ball of sour dough pizza starter (which will become pizza dough). I should clarify that this starter is made from the beginning starter. It would have become finished dough last night, but I ran out of flour so I could only make a portion of it, but that's OK because this can sit in my fridge for 3 days. When I started to make this starter I tripled the pizza dough recipe to make sure I had left over balls of dough to freeze. It would have made 15, 10 - 12 inch individual pizza's.

Middle Right: This is my completed pizza dough rising - which will be supper tonight. 5 individual pizza's, though more likely 2 big ones.

Bottom Right: More sourdough. This difference with this one is - it does not contain any yeast. I am going to bake both the sourdoughs today and see if I notice a difference it size, flavour and overall quality.

I should point out as well, that it was quite a feat to fit all these bowls in my tiny fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment