Sunday, October 10, 2010

Thanksgiving Weekend

This past weekend Teegan and I made a trip down south (To Kitchener) to visit our friends and have a make shift Thanksgiving dinner. Little did I know that the chicken I was planning on cooking (That David was going to buy) turned into a full fledged turkey (7 Pounds anyways). I was initially skeptical (mostly due to the fear of never having cooked a turkey before), but after a little thought and perusing of "The Joy of Cooking", David and I launched in with full force.


We ended up just stuffing the turkey with lemon, garlic and rosemary. Once our bird reached a perfect 180 degrees - we pulled it out of the oven and it was a perfect crisp golden brown.


I realize now, that a turkey is nothing to be feared. It's quite simple to roast, and quite fun to baste!


Alexis also pitched in and made some cranberry sauce, which turned out quite nice.


With Kitchener being so close to our former stomping grounds of Stratford, Milverton and St. Jacob's, we decided to take a drive/trip down memory lane. To be honest, Teegan just wanted an excuse to visit the yarn outlet store in Listowell. This in turn gave me an excuse (not that I should need one) to visit my favourite Amish restaurant (Anna May's in Millbank). The food is great, but what's better are the PIES and DOUGHNUTS - which are among some of the best things I have ever eaten in my life.


On our way back to Kitchener, we came across a local apple orchard (just outside of St.Jacobs) that had some of my favourite apples "Honey Crisp". I tried this apple 3 years ago in Halifax for the first time, and became quite smitten. I was overjoyed to find them at the local farmers market a few weeks ago, and was even more overjoyed to find an orchard that grows them in Ontario. So perhaps I will make a pie this week.


Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment