Friday, October 29, 2010

Falafel

Initially, I had a love/hate relationship with Falafels. I didn't much care for their taste, but for some reason whenever I got an opportunity to order them I would. It took me a few pitas, but my love grew and my hatred disappeared.

I attempted to make some about a year ago - and to my disappointment, things didn't work out the way I envisioned. The falafel balls disintegrated to nothing in the oil. Initially I thought that my oil had gone bad, but that wasn't the case. My falafel's were to moist and sticky.

So This go round, I wasn't going to make the same mistake.

1 c dried chick peas - soaked overnight
1 can broad beans
1/2 c cilantro
1 small onion
4 to 6 garlic cloves
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt

Dry off the chick peas and bean - then throw them into a food pro with everything else. Pulse till everything comes together and is a fine chunky, form-able texture. Roll it out into ball, a bit smaller then golf balls (1 good heaping Tablespoon). Deep Fry till a nice golden brown - a few minutes depending on size.


My pics of the final product didn't turn out to well, so they will sadly not be shown.

I made a nice "whole wheat flat-bread - (recipe here) - I used all WW flour" and ate it full of tahini, banana peppers and the falafels. It was quite nice.


2 comments:

  1. Nice! I have found any I've tried to be crumbly and taste dry. I've never done it with broad bean so maybe that is key. If you have any left, you might try mixing some lemon juice, garlic, and water with the tahini. It is a really nice sauce even though so simple. Look up tahini sauce and there is a cute utube video. Cheers, jb

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sauce kind of sounds like hummus without the chickpeas. I am sure I will attempt it sometime in the near future.

    ReplyDelete