Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Zucchini Bread

For the last few weeks, I have been sending Teegan to her Tuesday morning clinic meetings with baking.

I have come to realize that it's the best way to bake:

I get to make something I want.
I get to try it.
I get to give it away.
so I don't end up eating it all.

It almost sound selfish!

I have taken to making loafs lately. Probably because they can look almost healthy, which isn't always the case. So yesterday I decided on Zucchini/Carrot bread, seeing as I have already made banana, pumpkin and beet.

I found a good recipe on allrecipes, but I had to change it so I could sell it to the nutritionally aware/conscious midwives.

Bowl 1:
1 c butter/oil
3 eggs
Vanilla
3/4 c Brown sugar
3/4 c White sugar (as opposed to the 2 1/2 cups of white sugar)

Bowl 2:
1 1/2 Whole wheat flour
1 1/2 White flour (as opposed to 3 cups white flour)
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp Ginger

Bowl 3:
2 Small Zucchini's (course grate)
1 Big Carrot (course grate)
- both of these should come to about 3 cups-
1/2 c toasted whole hazelnuts

Mix bowls 1 and 2 together - once it's almost all mixed add bowl 3 - continue to mix till there is no more white. Pour the batter into 2 buttered and floured loaf pans and bake for an hour at 350 - till a toothpick comes out clean.


It turned out quite nice. Next time I may even add some flax seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment