Tuesday, November 9, 2010

More Bread

A few weeks ago I baked my first dutch oven bread - and since then I have been hooked on baking bread.

This morning (or should I say last night) I baked another no-knead bread (in my dutch oven). This go round I was a little more exciting because this bread was a multi-grain with a bunch of seeds in it. I found the recipe here - and it goes a little like this.

2 cups of lukewarm water
1/2 tsp active dry yeast (I used 1 tsp)
2 T of molasses

Stir everything together and then let it proof - 5 to 10 minutes.

2 cups bread flour
1 cup rye flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 T salt (I cut this in half)
2 T chia seeds
2 T flax seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds

Whisk all the dry ingredients together - then add to the yeast mixture and stir together till everything is well blended and you can't see any remaining flour. Cover and let sit for 12 to 20 hours.

After 20 hours - scrape the bubbly dough onto a bunch of flour and fold it over on itself a few times and shape into a ball. Let it rest for another hour or so (till it doubles in size again). Bake in a preheated oven (the dutch oven should be pre-heated too) at 425 for 25 - 30 minutes then for another 10 to 15 with the lid of the dutch oven off. Oh, I should say that parchment paper is helpful as well.

After that you should have some bread!


My bread turned out good. The molasses gave it a little bit of booze flavour (which I liked, but Teegan wasn't quite a fan of). If your not fond of a slight booze flavour use honey or perhaps some brown sugar instead of the molasses. The texture of the dough was a little moist for my liking, but it was in fact cooked through - perhaps it could have used a few more minutes in the oven.

It'll go great with soup tonight!

1 comment:

  1. I feel the need to inform you that I made this bread again, but used Honey instead of molasses - and it had a much nicer flavour. That's my opinion.

    ReplyDelete