Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Bakeware/Soup/Crisp - Supper.

While at Winners today Teegan convinced me to buy some makeshift ramekins, well they aren't really ramekins but rather mini dutch ovens (I love them). So I used them tonight for supper and dessert.

Roasted Romanesque Cauliflower and Garlic Soup

When I picked this cauliflower up at the market last Saturday, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it more then the normal run of the mill cauliflower. It was sweeter with a bit of nutty flavour - quite nice.

Here's what I did - It's super easy.

I cut up the head of cauliflower coated it in olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted it (with five garlic cloves still in there wrappers) in a 350 degree oven till the edges got brown and the garlic is soft - about 20 to 30 minutes.

Once cauliflower is done

Saute 1/2 an onion (on medium heat) till caramelized or there abouts
add the cauliflower and garlic (peeled)
Stir till everything is mixed
Then add 1 liter of stock (chicken or veg)

Bring everything to a boil then turn down and simmer for 30 minutes or so. Puree the soup and you are done. I finished mine in my new bake ware topped with some bread I made this morning and sharp cheddar cheese. So good!



Apple crisp

Topping:

3/4 c flour
1/4 c bran
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c toasted hazelnuts
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c butter (cold)
a splash of vanilla

I tend to use my food processor for my crisps topping, it does a really nice job of cutting in butter.

For the filling I used 5 huge apples and a half pint of raspberries.


Bake in at 9x13 inch pan at 350 for about 45 minutes. Though I used an 8x8 and 2 of my little dutch ovens. Now that it's cool, I must partake.

No comments:

Post a Comment