Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I'm Beet Bread!

I came across - this little gem - last night. It caught my attention for a couple of reasons.

1. The dough is purple!
2. It seems pretty simple.
3. I just happened to have a bowl of roasted beets in the fridge!

Before I went to bed last night - I whisked together

1 c Warm water
1/4 tsp Yeast (if you have active dry yeast - proof these 2 together for a few minutes)
1 c Bread flour

Cover the bowl and let this rest for 12 hours or so.

The next morning, unwrap the bowl and add 1 cup of purred beets.

Proof another 3/4 tsp yeast in 1/4 c of water

In another bowl mix together your dry ingredients.

1/2 c Whole wheat flour
2 3/4 c Bread flour
1 tsp salt

Mix everything together and knead for 8 to 10 minutes. Apparently the dough is suppose to be on the sticky side, so don't add to much more flour while kneading. After kneading put the dough into a bowl (With oil) and let it rest for another hour (till it's doubled in size).

This is the best I could correct the colour on this pic - mmm - pepto!

After it has doubled in size, form into 2 loafs - whatever shape you desire and let rise (on parchment paper) for another hour. Once the hour is up, cut a few slice into each loaf and sprinkle whole wheat flour over the top.



Bake at 400 for 30 to 35 minutes. If you are unsure if it's done or not, use a thermometer - it should measure 180.

Once again the pictures colour is off. That's what I get for living in a basement - and having a bad camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment