Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pepper'd Rosemary Cheddar Biscuits

I love biscuits and in the last few years, I have discovered I love having them for breakfast. Sure nothing beats having them fresh, right out of the oven - but I am happy to report that they freeze quite well. In the mornings I like to take them out of the freezer, cut them in half and give them a little time in the toaster and top with butter (not that they need anymore!).


Recipe: (I adapted it from chef Lynn Crawford's recipe - HERE)

1 cup All Purpose Flour
1 1/4 cup Cake/Pastry Flour
2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
2 T of Fresh chopped Rosemary
1 c Sharp Cheddar Cheese (or a bit more if you feel inclined)
1 c of Buttermilk
6 T Frozen Butter

Preheat the Oven to 400.
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor, and blitz till everything is combined.
Scrape the mix onto a counter that is covered with flour (To prevent sticking). At this point shape the dough into a coheisive lump (kneading is a no - no!). Then grab your rolling pin and roll your dough until it's about 3/4 of an inch thick. Cut the dough into whatever shape you desire, place the cut biscuits onto a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 18 minutes - or until the sides and top are a golden brown.

To help with the golden colour, brush with an egg wash, before the biscuits are baked.

1 egg
1 T milk

The Results:
Pros - Light, flaky, buttery, cheesy - so delicious - seriously amazing.
Cons (One Con) - I didn't get enough rise out of my biscuits. I have narrowed the reason down to 2 things. The first being - I rolled the dough out to thin - easy to correct for next time. The second being - I handled my dough to much - it came out of the processor to sticky (I should have added another 1/4 c of flour, which I did add to the recipe up top, for your sake) and It played the lets stick to the counter game, which meant I had to re-roll.

p.s. If you don't have buttermilk (which I never do), try putting 1 T of lemon juice in a 1 cup measuring cup and top the rest up with milk. It does the trick!

1 comment:

  1. Ok. These look hot (havent' actually read the post yet so I guess I'll find out!). jb

    ReplyDelete