Monday, September 6, 2010

Detox - Week One!

Week One is over and here are my findings.

- Coffee - It has been hard to give up - so I haven't! I have allowed myself one cup per day (Usually a Soy Latte). I should also mention that I have been persuaded to do away with my aluminum espresso maker, replacing it with a highly superior stainless steel one.
- Bread - Has also really hard to give up! I have tried to make some bread out of buckwheat and brown rice flour, but all my attempts have been flops. I had mixed results with a coconut flour bread/loaf, that being said I am not to eager to rush back into that recipe. I am optimistic though, cause I found a local bakery downtown that makes a Brown Rice (gluten/wheat free) bread.
- Coke - Has been surprisingly easy to give up. After reading up on Aspartame, Teegan and I have decided to do away with it (to the best of our ability). That means no more Diet Coke, Fresca, etc, etc. That being said, I doubt she is going to let me replace it with regular Coke (which is quite dear heart). I am not saying that I am not going to be able to drink it or buy it - it just means I can't buy it in big quantities, that sit it my fridge of closet taunting me.
- Fruit & Veg - Intake is way up - witch in no way can be bad.
- Red Meat - Has proven quite an insignificant challenge. Sure I would love a big hunk of steak done up on the BBQ - or for that matter a big plate of Bacon, but its not like I am craving it. Which is nice.
- Dairy (Cheese) - Has not been much of an issue either - though I think it would have been if I wasn't allowed to eat Feta or Goat cheese. Soy milk has basically filled the role of milk and cream, though to be honest probably wouldn't be used if it wasn't for coffee.
- Sugar - I have been surprised at how many things have sugar, quite surprised. Yesterday while at the grocery store I picked up a bottle of peach nectar and looked at the back thinking I could maybe bring this home and sweeten some tea with it, but to my surprise the FIRST ingredient was in fact sugar! It's Peach nectar, not sugar nectar flavoured with Peach!
- Corn - is also in everything.

That about caps it.

One week remains!

No comments:

Post a Comment