Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cinnamon Buns


Cinnamon Rolls (by Michael Smith)

1 c milk
1/2 c butter
1/2 c brown sugar
2 T vanilla

Melt together in a saucepan - then add to the dry ingredients.

5 c flour - but only add 3 to start
1 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast

4 eggs

add one - stir it in, then add another - stir and another - stir and one more - stir the batter till is smooth. Then add the rest of the flour (I actually had to put about 6 cups in, Knead for a few minutes to get the dough sticky, but so it wouldn't stick.

Let the dough mixture rise for 2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.

Roll out and add mixed filling

1/2 c softened butter (room temp)
1 c brown sugar
2 T cinnamon

Roll into a log and cut into 12 to 16 buns - let rise on a baking sheet or pan till the buns rise into each other then bake at 350 till brown and done. The recipe calls for 40 minutes, but mine were done in 20.

The flavour of the buns were quite nice and I would try this recipe again in a heartbeat.
Though I did run into a few problems - no fault of my own of course.
I have a hunch that my yeast isn't the freshest and therefore no good. My last 3 attempts, using the yeast has failed to produce the necessary rise i require. Which has lead to a denser and smaller product.
Because, my dough didn't rise again in the pan before sticking it in the oven, the dough rose to quick in the heat and squeezed all the filling to the top of the buns or the bottom of the pan. I was hoping for a bit more filling to stick around, but it is what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment