Thursday, August 5, 2010

Peppernuts

This evening I had a desire to bake something. After quite a bit of time and searching online for ideas, I thought of Peppernuts! I looked up a few recipes but I wasn't quite convinced by any of them. Never having made them before, I was scared that I would have come up with something completely different then I was used to. I decided to call up my Mother (at the lake) for a recipe. She had to search a bit but she came up with the recipe that my Grandmother used to make - the exact ones I used to cram into my pockets before leaving, to tide me over on the ride home from Rosthern.

Here's the recipe (cut in half):
1 c sugar
1 c syrup (corn I imagine)
1 c Margarine
1/2 tsp star anise
1/2 tsp clove
1 tsp baking soda
1 eggs
¼ c. of sour milk
4 c flour
Mix the spices/sugar and margarine (hot microwaved). After it's cooled a bit add the egg and milk. Then mix the dry ingredients with the wet. My Grandmother used to make the dough into little snakes and cut little nickle size cookies. Then bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 350.

Here's what I did (with the same recipe):
1 c sugar (white)
1/2 c. Brown sugar
1/2 c. Honey
1 c Butter
1/2 tsp star anise
1/2 tsp clove
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 eggs
¼ c. of milk soured with some lemon juice
4 c flour
Instead of rolling snakes, I rolled the dough out in a big square and cut little square inch pieces. I then rolled them into balls and popped them onto a cooking sheet and pushed them down so they looked like crokino buttons.
For next time I would make them smaller - they are about the size of a toonie and what I want is a nickle to quarter.

After making the peppernuts - I soon realized that I had forgotten what they actually tasted like - but after my first bit, it all came rushing back to me. That made me happy!

On another note - I have continued my Asian adventure. Yesterday Ribs - and today I made a Red Thai Chicken Curry - it was nice!

2 comments:

  1. Hey blogger. I found this website that has a link to a bunch of Asian food blogs (you have to scroll down). She's also the winner of the top cooking blog 2010: oneperfectbite.blogspot.com

    jenny hd

    ReplyDelete