Sunday, August 29, 2010

Garden Ideas

Last year (winter), I bought a book called "Square Foot Gardening". The basic concept is reduce garden size without reducing vegetable output. I have become quite fond of this method of gardening - though I have yet to be able to try my hand at it.

Lately (The past few months), I have been thinking a lot about gardening - and if I could grow an actual garden what would it look like, and what would I grow. It didn't take long before the garden in my head grew (probably to an unhealthy size for a first time gardener). That being said, I am not deterred - I even have dreams of selling my produce at a farmers market. Though before that happens, I will have to have a trial year and hopefully with any luck my family with be bombarded with zucchini, carrots, pepper, herb, etc, etc.

Last week, my seed catalogue arrived in the mail. So, I have enthusiastically started picking and choosing what I would like to grow, with the help of Teegan (who's only interest is really spinach and beets).

So here is a pic of my idea. I am using the Sq Ft gardening method but adapted to rows. I should also point out that depending on the size of the vegetable is how many can be planted in one Sq Ft. For example 12 carrots, 1 pepper plant, 1 herb plant, 4 Swiss chard, 1 squash, watermelon, bush pea per 2 Sq Ft.



I just realized I forgot the beets - so I guess my idea for a tidy 8 rows will have to extend to 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment