Thursday, August 12, 2010

Caesar


Tonight's supper consisted of a very classic Chicken Caesar salad. BBQ'd Chicken (Lemon Pepper), Spring Mix (I prefer romaine), Flatbread cooked on the BBQ (it ended up being a cross between a pita and tortilla) and Lastly a homemade Caesar dressing.

I have made it my goal over the last few years not to buy salad dressings - seeing as they are quite easy to make. In saying this for some reason or another Caesar dressing (along with ranch) often finds it's way into my fridge. I have made Caesar dressing before, Some have been good but I have never been super impressed with any of them.
SO this afternoon I did a little online research and there seems to be quite a few recipes out there to choose from. Some people swear by anchovies, others think a clotted egg needs to be added (basically an egg put in boiling water for a minute), or red wine vinegar, mayo, sour cream - the list is quite extensive.

After considering a bunch of recipes, I have decided that I am going to make it my goal to find or come up with a really great Caesar dressing (perhaps a Travis's signature Caesar dressing). Now, I realize that this may take a while (perhaps a lifetime), so stay tuned for my findings.

Here's what I did tonight (the basic recipe is from Micheal Smith)

1/2 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 c. Lemon Juice
a tsp of Dijon Mustard
1/4 c. Parmesan Cheese
a TB of Garlic
Salt and Pepper

Blitz in a food processor.

I made a few changes to this one before I even tried it. To me and Teegan it didn't seem creamy enough - so I added a bit of mayo and sour cream. It turned out good - but like I said I am looking for more!

Please feel free to pass on your preferences or ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment