Saturday, July 17, 2010

Just Ate

So I just ate, and I feel inclined to blog about my experience.

I like to cook and I believe I am a good cook and put out good quality meals - but there have only been a handful of times in my cooking life, where I have been shocked at how amazing a meal I made was. Tonight's supper (which my wife missed because she is at a birth) was one of those few meals.

My makeshift Chicken Souvilaki on a homemade Tortilla with Garlic mayo

Chicken:
I marinaded (for an hour or so) my chicken thighs (about 6 of them) in;
Lemon juice (1 1/2 lemons) add some of the zest too
5 Garlic cloves
Lots of pepper
a small bunch of fresh thyme

BBQ!

Tortillas:
2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 Tb oil

Knead till smooth (5 minutes or less) then let rest for 20 minutes or so. Split into 6 and roll out (about 8 or so inches round - I do this 1 at a time and usually as the 1 before it is cooking). Get a non stick pan hot with no oil (about 7 or 8 on your dial) - and heat the tortilla for about 30 seconds on each side. You will know it's hot enough when you see some specks of brown and it puffs up a bit.

I am not a fan of Yogurt therefore I am kind of scared of Tzatziki - though I was tempted to make it today. Instead I used a garlic mayo and If I may add - I have started playing with mayo and so far I am quite pleased with the things you can do with it (my creole mayo and now garlic - whats next orange citrus mayo!)

Garlic Mayo:
A cup or so of mayo
a few cloves of garlic - minced
and lots of pepper

So I basically smeared the garlic on - added the chicken - added some cubed cucumber and a little bit of arugula. To finish I squeezed a bit of lemon juice and olive oil!

Simple but Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment