Thursday, July 15, 2010

How about them Apples

Last week, I bought a 10 Kg bag of apples from Costco. That's a lot of apples for 2 people. That being said they must be used. I thought perhaps an apple loaf (to boring), or an apple pie (to much work), ah Apple Crisp.

I find most Apple Crisp recipes out there are quite similar. So for the last year or so I have been experimenting with putting different flavours in the fruit - for example; vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond extract, citrus and nuts of course. So this morning when I came across the idea of putting some of the topping on the bottom as kind of a crust, I went for it

I should also say that 1 crisp turned into 3. I guess I got bored with the apples.


Topping:
1 c. flour
1 c. spelt flour
1 c. brown sugar
a pinch of salt
1 c. or so of butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder

Apple Cranberry (8x8 pan):
4 c. Apples
1/2 c. cranberries (dried, but I gave them a shot of hot water before hand).
a wee bit of sugar, just to coat the apples
and a pinch of lemon zest

Blueberry (loaf pan):
2 c. Blueberries
a pinch of lemon zest
and the same amount of grated ginger (I keep this frozen, cause it grates great)
a wee bit of sugar

Strawberry (loaf pan):
2 c. Strawberries
a wee bit of sugar


No comments:

Post a Comment