Friday, June 4, 2010

Veg Stock

So, I will confess that I have the tendency of wasting vegetables. I don't mean to, I buy them with every intention of using them (Eating them raw/in salads/pasta/soups and so forth). Yet for some reason when I get them home they fall by the wayside and die a slow death in the crisper drawer.

Since moving to Peterborough, I have been way more aware this waste, due mostly to the dumping of said waste into the compost bin. Before, back in the SK, I would just chuck things into the garbage - and not actually being able to see how much was in there, I didn't think to much about it.

So this being said - I am making an effort. My first order of business - a Veg Stock - which was inspired by my floppy celery (which in my defense, was only a few days old).


This is what I had so here's my recipe:

1/2 a bunch of celery
3 carrots - washed with skin on
1/2 and onion
1 bunch/tree of broccoli
2 garlic cloves
A tablespoon dried thyme
Salt and Pepper

Basically I threw everything into the pot and covered with water and simmered it on the stove for 2 hours. It produced about 10 cups of stock (cause that's how big my pot is), which are being stored in my freezer, until I am craving some soup.

2 comments:

  1. what is that yellow thing?
    ps the risotto you made with this stock was amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Lemon Wedge that I found in the fridge. I didn't add it to the recipe because I normally wouldn't have put it in there and I don't think it did anything to the broth in terms of flavour anyways.

    ReplyDelete