Sunday, June 20, 2010

Trackballs

As a child, I spent much of my summer vacation up north camping with my family. One of the ways I would pass the time was by playing trackball on the road beside our campsite - typically with my Father (happy fathers day), because 5 minutes of playing with my brother (Not saying which one) would have no doubt resulted in me crying and running to my Mother.
As the years have past, the trackballs have been long abandoned, perhaps lost/given away or sold in a garage sale. I do have vivid memories of seeing them covered in dust in the ball bin in the fort (which later became the storage shed).
Last summer Teegan and I were talking about them with fond memories wondering how on earth we could get a hold of a pair to play with. We thought to ourselves trackballs were perhaps an activity we could do together as some form of play/exercise.
Low and behold while I was working at MCC (Village Green Furniture) a pair came in and I immediately put my name on them and stored them up on my shelf with all my other claimed possessions (Mason jars/golf balls/etc.). Later that day Teegan, her parents and I decided to go to the park for a rousing game of bocce ball and perhaps even a few throws of the trackballs. We set them down beside a tree in the park where we play, along with the case for the bocce balls. After being defeated by the prevailing Rick (happy fathers day) and Donna we walked back to the tree to find they had been in fact stolen (along with the bocce case).
So today, after a year of mourning the loss, I came face to face with a brand new set of trackballs - at Chapters none the less. So 10 bucks later and I am once again a happy little boy, with no need for tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment