Saturday, May 28, 2011

Cornbread

A year ago or so I came into possession of 2 cast iron frying pans and since that point I have been wanting to make some corn bread. I have made cornbread before but there's something about having it baked in a cast iron frying pan that seems right.


Before I made the cornbread I first had to season the pans, which from non use had become a bit dry and was speckled with rust. I was initially afraid of this process but after doing a bit of research I found it was quite easy. I scrubbed the pans clean, and coated them with oil inside and out then placed the pans into the oven upside down on baking sheets and baked them for 3 hours at 250.

Cornbread (Adapted from Rebar's plain and fancy cornbread)

1 C Cornmeal
1 C Flour (Whole Wheat)
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt

2 Eggs
1 C Milk
1/2 C Butter (Soft)
Juice of a lime

Mix everything together and then bake in a cast iron pan (9 inches round) or an 8x8 baking dish at 400 for 20 to 25 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised to see this is not a sweet (honey?) version or a cheesy version. I've only ever seen the two types... Would you say this was savoury or sweet or either? JJD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say it was quite neutral in flavour. I wouldn't classify it as sweet or savoury. I have had with chili and I love it drizzled with maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete