Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Beer Butt Chicken!


I picked up a few whole chickens the other day and decided they would be best done on the BBQ. So after a little scrounging I found a really bad bottle of beer (Which will remain nameless) that a previous guest had brought over and left (Who will also remain nameless). I then rinsed out 2 pop cans and divided up the beer into both (Though I did wonder what chicken would actually taste like steamed with a bit of Coke - perhaps an experiment for another day).

I made a spice rub, which contained:
Paprika
Chili Powder
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
And Brown Sugar

I found the chicken is quite stable on a can if on a flat surface (Though you can buy holders for 10 dollars a piece - which to me seems steep). I cooked the chicken with indirect heat and tried to keep the BBQ at a temp of 350. Your chicken is done once it reaches a nice internal temp of 180.

The side of potato's (Next to chicken), were cut up into small pieces and tossed in Sumac, Thyme, Salt and Pepper. Once all the potato's were resting in the tin foil I laid a few pieces of bacon over the potato's and wrapped with more foil (The only thing that could make potato's better is bacon fat!). Cook till tender and bacon is cooked to your preference (about 30 minutes or so).

2 comments:

  1. And how did everything taste?

    DJD

    ReplyDelete
  2. It tasted great!
    Super tender - and the skin had a nice heat which was only complimented by the brown sugar.
    A winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete