Sunday, February 6, 2011

Waffles

Waffles are quite a big staple in my life (I am surprised I have never blogged about them). In the past few years they have been made almost on a weekly basis (Well not to much as of recent). I have even managed to pass on the love to my in-laws, which is good for several reasons - one being, I no longer the only one making them.

I have tried all sorts, including pumpkin, chocolate, gingerbread, blueberry etc -  and even though some of these waffles were pretty awesome my favourite is still a classic with a bit of orange zest added in for flavour



Here's the recipe I use:

2 cups flour
1 3/4 cups milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter/oil (you can always use less)
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp coarse kosher salt (or 1/4 tsp table salt)
1 T sugar
A slash of vanilla

Optional - the zest of an orange, lime, lemon, grapefruit.

Mix everything together.

Today for a topping, I cut up some apples, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and cranberries and cooked them with a splash of water in a pot until soft. I added cinnamon and sugar till it was sweet enough for me - then I pureed it.

The whipped cream was basic, but instead of sweetening it with sugar I used maple syrup.

4 comments:

  1. Hey what's the deal with you using Kosher salt anyway? JJD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I like using a salt that is a bit coarser - sea salt can sometimes be to coarse. That's the reason - but I did a bit of digging around and now I feel more justified using it. Did you know that it has no additives (unlike table salt), it also has a lighter and cleaner taste and apparently it can speed up cooking time and boiling water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Travis...my wife (Heather) stumbled across your blog (a bit of a blog surfer, not writer or responder). If you recall, you spent a month or so housesitting our place in Caswell a number of years ago. We have recently built a strawbale house on an acreage near Saskatoon. Heather laughed when she read about your excitement about receiving your seed order in the mail...reminded her of me. Heather is the bread maker in our house, but my yeast corner has been Indian Naan bread. And, I was just thinking to myself that I should be planning my garden and starting some peppers and melons inside soon...hmmmm. Anyway, we appreciate your zeal for the back to the basics. Keep it coming, we may drop by from time to time. Troy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Troy!
    Thanks for the comment.
    I have secretly been stalking your family and your hay-bail house for a number of years now (Via Internet), mostly through pictures I see here and there (Usually posted by Chris). Where about's did you guys build? I would be interested to see the results - perhaps we will have to arrange a visit/tour in a few months, once we are back in SK.

    ReplyDelete