Monday, February 14, 2011

V-Day Supper (Pizza)

This was supposed to be a heart - but my the rise of the crust, kind of kiboshed my plans.

Nothing says "I love you" more then pizza! Well in my world anyways.

I was perusing through my previous pizza posts and I soon realized that I no longer make pizza like I used to. My former go to pizza dough recipe has fallen by the wayside, and I am now aware of its shortcomings.

Here's one of the new recipe I use.
I should say that it's loosely based on Peter Reinhart's Napoletana pizza dough recipe.

5 cups unbleached high-gluten, bread, or all-purpose flour

I usually sub in 2 cups of multi-grain bread flour

1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt

1 teaspoon instant yeast

2 cups plus a few extra splashes of water

You could also add in some olive oil (about a 1/4 cup)

Stir the yeast into the water and let it sit for a few minutes till dissolved or until foam develops - then add the water/yeast to the rest of the dry ingredients, which by this point have been stirred all together (I like to use a whisk). Then stir everything together for about 3 minutes till you end up pushing a ball of dough around the bowl. Once it's at this point knead it for about 30 seconds or give it a stretch and fold (I prefer this - here is a quick video if you have no clue what I am talking about - I should also point out that this pizza dough is not going to be nearly as soft/wet as the one in the video). Place in an oiled bowl and put into the fridge overnight (it can be kept like this for a few days).

On pizza day take the dough out of the fridge and cut the dough into smaller balls, depending on the size of pizza you want (I like 4 to 5). Once cut and shaped into little tight balls let the dough warm up, loosely covered on an oiled sheet for 2 hours before using.

At this point in the past I would bring out my rolling pin and start going at this dough with gusto, but I have learned the error of my ways (granted I would still roll if I was making a big pizza). I now stretch the dough using the back of my hands and thumbs. I can't find a good video of that, but basically you want more dough on the outsides of the pizza so you get a good crust.

I used to cook my pizza's at a temp of 350 - 400, but It's only as of recent that I have been brave enough to turn my oven to full blast. I don't think I would be that eager if I was using a normal baking sheet (which can warp and bend when heated to hot), but my pizza stone seems to thrive in the heat.

I don't know what's up with blogger so ignore, the weird spacing and text.

No comments:

Post a Comment