Saturday, December 4, 2010

You say Potato - I say Patato - Soup!

I have a confession to make. There was a time in my life (A short duration - probably 8 years) where I didn't eat potatoes. The thought of eating potatoes did not appeal to me in the least - I am not even sure why, to be honest. The important thing is I now eat them again and quite enjoy them.

A few months ago I began the practice of buying whole chickens, instead of breasts or thighs here or there. It's just way more practical (i.e. cheaper). Whether you break down the chicken raw and freeze the parts your not using or roast it whole - it just goes so much further (For instance chicken stock for potato soup!).



Potato Soup (So simple!)

oil
1 onion (diced) - sauteed for a few minutes
3 garlic cloves (minced) - sauteed till they smell
6 cups or so of potatoes (cubed)
8 cups of chicken stock
a splash of cream
Salt and Pepper

Top with bacon bits and some finely chopped green onions or chives.

Heat everything to a boil and then simmer till the potatoes are oh so tender - then puree. My goal was to get a thick, rich soup - so if that's not the type of soup your after cut back (or add more) potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment