Monday, December 27, 2010

The Turkey!

So, this year I volunteered to make the Turkey for the Odell family. I did so feeling inspired by Jamie Oliver and the turkey he cooked on his Christmas special on Food TV. It couldn't have been easier - it could have been cleaner on the other hand - but this was my first go - and boy was it the way to go!

First I started by chopping a bunch of dried cranberries (a cup or so).
Second I chopped a bunch of sage, rosemary and thyme.
Third I mixed the herbs and cranberries in about a cup and half of soft butter.
Fourth I squeezed the butter mix in between skin and the meat.

I did not stuff the turkey as it slows down the cooking time, and can apparently dry out the meat - so instead (just like Jamie) I threw in a cut orange.  


16 pounds of fresh, organic, free range turkey!


I cooked it at 350 for 4 1/2 hours - and then let it rest under some tin foil and towels for 2 hours!


It was perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment